July 1, 2012

Design Rules That Were Made to Be Broken!

via
I'm obsessed with House Beautiful magazine and hold on to each one of them so I could re-read whenever I want to.  Recently, I decided to go through the May 2012 issue since I especially loved the "101 Designer Secrets" article! There were two that caught my eye; "97.  The only time white curtain lining should be used is with white curtains."  "98.  I always line curtains with a white or off-white fabric.  It helps filter the light in a warm, natural way, and from the outside your house won't look carnivalesque."  Ahhh, as if the whole process wasn't confusing enough we have a million different amazingly creative designers contradicting each other.
That's why I think it's important to know what your personal style is and to go with your gut. Check out some of these design rules that I love to break!

Rule No.1 to Break: You can't mix styles.  ie. If you have a classic colonial home, keep the interior decor and design classic colonial.   Now what fun would that be? I think it's much more exciting to surprise your guests with the unexpected!
A traditional colonial that gave a little hint to a whimsical interior by painting the door bright yellow.
I kid you not this is one of the rooms in the home shown above
Rule No. 2 to Break: Choose a light palette for small or naturally dark rooms.  I love the idea of embracing a small and dark room and making it feel like the cozy cocoon that it was meant to be!

via
Rule No. 3 to Break: Thou Shalt Not Mix Metals.  If that's the case, then why does it look so damn good?
a metallic medley 
via
via
via
My mixed metal wall gallery
 Rule No.4 to Break: Use Pastel Colors for Baby Rooms and Make Everything Matchy Matchy for Children's Rooms

via
via
via

No comments:

Post a Comment